• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A Which National Certification Exam should I sign up for medical coding/billing?

Laura Betts

As a student who is getting close to finishing up an AHIMA certified medical coding and billing education program, which national certification test should I study for or sign up for? I have noticed that there are a few certifications and test to choose from as well as different professional organizations to be associated with. These national certification tests can be expensive. Also, should I try to find a job working in the field for a couple of years before trying to pass a national certification test or should I go take a national certification exam as soon as I graduate?

Paul A

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
HCC Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
PPM Physicians Practice Management
You will find a harder time getting hired if you don't get certified first. CPC is easier since you can actually write notes in your book and the test is 100% multiple choice. AHIMA doesn't allow any writing in the book and is a mix of multiple choice, fill in the blank and full cases. The primary strategy behind CCO's method is Bubbling and Highlighting which you cant use for the AHIMA exams.

Id probably get CPC first and then get some real life coding under your belt and the go for AHIMA. It doesn't hurt to be dual certified.

dsanto3

You will find a harder time getting hired if you don't get certified first. CPC is easier since you can actually write notes in your book and the test is 100% multiple choice. AHIMA doesn't allow any writing in the book and is a mix of multiple choice, fill in the blank and full cases. The primary strategy behind CCO's method is Bubbling and Highlighting which you cant use for the AHIMA exams.

Id probably get CPC first and then get some real life coding under your belt and the go for AHIMA. It doesn't hurt to be dual certified.
Paul,

I am a student and my school is partnered with AHIMA and the CCA is the exam they are preparing us for. The cost for the first try at the exam is included. I received this opportunity through unemployment partnered with the State and got a grant and the promise of work upon completion (although it's 1 1/2 hours from my home). The more I read, the more I wish I was taking the CPC. I want to purchase the Blitz, but I am terrified of writing in my book and being disqualified from taking the exam. Do you know anyone who has taken the CCA? They are very vague on their site about how much can be written in the manual for the test.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
One of my former instructors told the class to go for the CCS if you are going to take one of the AHIMA exams.